I want to share my South African experiences with beloved friends and family, from 9,500 miles away!
Please read about my life, and be sure to tell me about yours!

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

the pre-departure post.

As I write this, I sit in my aunt's condo in Minneapolis, with a few hours to myself to read, write, make phone calls, etc. It is sunny and I can see all of downtown Minneapolis and the surrounding area (she lives on the 24th floor). It's beautiful. It's beautiful, but I feel like I'm in some sort of limbo. All of this planning and preparation, and here I am in the cities for two days, spending some last few minutes with friends and family before leaving on a jet plane.

This winter break has provided an ample amount of time to attempt to reflect on why I am journeying to South Africa... My attempts led me to my journal from last spring. There was one day- I think at a Catholic Worker retreat- that I asked a series of questions to God, mainly,

What does it mean to follow You?
What does it mean to be a disciple?

I wrote about wanting to give my life to living and loving. I wrote about my belief in a Jesus didn't just come to die for us-- he came to live for us, and to show us how to live with truth and joy.

Preparing myself for this journey can only be a vague attempt because I don't know what this adventure will hold. However, I do know it will alter me in ways I cannot predict.

And, in my heart, I feel as though this is what it means for me to be a disciple. To follow Christ's life and love with an expectation of change, and a surrender to not knowing what that change will be or how it will look like.

I feel as if I am riding a wave of love to South Africa. My birthday was a wonderful way to have a last celebration with friends and family. The support from my communities in Chicago and Bemidji and family has been a beautiful tidal wave, and I will hopefully be able to carry that feeling of love and affection in my heart these next few months.

I fly out before the sun rises on Thursday morning. If you are reading this, please keep in touch!

I feel ready. Or, as ready as I can be.

3 comments:

  1. You are indeed riding a wave of love. Please bring our love with you and have a beautiful time. Also, thank you for the inspiration, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, I am thinking of you often today. Your post made me remember this, "All the good that you will do will come not from you but from the fact that you have allowed yourself, in the obedience of faith, to be used by God’s love." From Thomas Merton, of course. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your safe arrival! Catch up on some sleep now so you can think straight and feel 'normal'. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete