I want to share my South African experiences with beloved friends and family, from 9,500 miles away!
Please read about my life, and be sure to tell me about yours!

Monday, February 14, 2011

catholic (universal)

This is a little of why I love being Catholic.

When showing Mama my pictures of my home, she got to the pictures of St. Philip's and said, "Ahh.. are you.. Roman Cat-o-lic?" I said yes, and she said, "Me too! Our family is.. Roman Cat-o-lic."

I've gone with her to church the last two weekends. Going to church involves her wearing a specific outfit with a hat and ribbon and medal, I just wear a skirt. There are different 'societies' at church, my mama belongs to the Society of the Sacred Heart (I love the Sacred Heart, but we have too much of a language barrier to discuss the theology of the Sacred Heart). There is a St. Joseph society, something with Mary, and St. Anne. They all wear different church outfits, so you can kind of see what 'team' people are playing for. Just kidding.

My first church experience was the biggest heat wave of my life. I was sweating buckets and almost passed out. My friend Annie had to get me water- it was intense. This week's situation had more of an air-flow going on, so I was able to pay attention much more.

I LOVE that I know what everyone is saying at each response, but I can't say the Zulu and just think the English in my head.

I LOVE the way the people sing. They choose to put a song in every possible space of the mass, before and after the gospel, before the readings, etc. They sing from their souls, and it comes bubbling up from their toes, and you would have to be a robot to avoid swaying with them, the energy is so infectious. They sing in a sacred way- it isn't a fake happiness, or momentary joy that masks reality. It is a total embrace of God working in reality, of God as reality. Pain and sorrow are joined with rejoicing in this music that is all. Encompasses the reality of life for these people.

I LOVE that everyone greets me, wants to know me, asks me how I am in Zulu (and smiles when I kind of answer in Zulu).

I LOVE that the priest said one sentence of his homily in English- "How are we living our lives?", yet it was enough for me to ponder throughout the rest of the mass, the singing, the Eucharist.

I LOVE that to be Catholic is truly to be a part of a universal family, that welcomes and rejoices and invites me, thrilled that I also see Christ in the Eucharist. A family willing to bring me to a table and share in a sacred meal with them.

1 comment: